the City of Adams, TN. Note the witch on a broom, which has become a
symbol of Adams. This is one of the most photographed attractions in
Adams, yet it has absolutely nothing to do with the legend of the Bell Witch.
built in the 1810 timeframe by John Bell's family, is believed to be the only
surviving structure from the original Bell plantation. It was used as an
outbuilding for many years. It can be found behind the Bell School
building on Highway 41.
of Log Cabin
This is the
interior of the log cabin, showing the fireplace and many antiques. The
house was originally located on the old Bell plantation, but was later moved to
the grounds of the Bell School.
River runs thought Montgomery and Robertson counties in Tennessee. The
Bell plantation was situated on the Red River not far from where this picture
was taken. The "Bell Witch" wreaked havoc all along the Red
gravestone. The original marker was stolen in the 1940's. The boy
who took the original died a couple of days later. The marker shown above
was placed about 1957. The new stone is NOT on Bell's original grave.
This is the
only known oil painting of John Bell, Jr. (1793-1862), the second oldest
of the Bell children. He lived near the original Bell plantation.
of Betsy Bell
A drawing of
Elizabeth "Betsy" Bell, who was continuously tortured by the
"spirit." This popular drawing has been featured in books,
television specials, and all over the Internet. In real-life, Betsy Bell
was a tall, heavy-set girl with a big smile (well, some of the time) and
strawberry-blonde hair. It is said that she was very witty and
cheerful. Her weight let her down later in life, and she moved to
Mississippi due to ill health.
Old Bell Cemetery
underbrush is all that remains of the original John Bell cemetery somewhere in
Robertson County, Tennessee. The cemetery has been subjected to both
neglect and vandalism over the years. In addition to John and Lucy Bell,
and possibly three of their children, about 25 slaves are buried here. The
cemetery, along with the remains of the old home and well, are privately owned
by a foundation. The public is not permitted to access these areas.
built on land donated by Charles Bailey Bell in 1913, and rebuilt following a
fire in 1919, the Bell School served its original purpose until the mid
1970s. It was later used as an antique mall, and is currently the home of
the Bell School Antique Mall and the Adams Museum and Archives. Many
people have reported supernatural encounters while inside the building and on
the grounds. Charles Bailey Bell was the great-grandson of John Bell, of
Bell Witch fame.
A number of
John Bell's descendants are buried here, including Charles Bailey Bell, who
wrote a book about the "Bell Witch" in 1934. Judge John Bell
Turner, who contributed to an earlier account, is also buried here. Many
visitors to Bellwood Cemetery have described encounters with the supernatural.
Bailey Bell wrote "The Bell Witch-A Mysterious Spirit" just one year
prior to the spirit's promised 107-year return. It is still unclear
whether the spirit returned in 1935--or even left the place to begin with.
monument was erected at Bellwood Cemetery in honor of John and Lucy Bell,
who have several descendants buried there. Other sides of the
monument pay tribute to other members of the Bell family.
main road that wound past the Bell plantation and through the Red River
Settlement, this road is now used for routine farm work. The entrance
drive to Bellwood follows the exact path of the old road, and the road extends
across Highway 41, where it is known as "Bell's Cross Road."
Kate Batts, a character in the legend, lived on Bell's Cross Road not far from
where Highway 41 is today. Many floating lights have been spotted in
the clump of trees stood the home of Kate and Frederick Batts. Mrs. Batts
was believed by many to have been the culprit behind the disturbances known as
the "Bell Witch." She was a poor woman, and was often made fun
of by others throughout the Red River Settlement. Her improper usage of
words, along with her sometimes strange ways, led many to think she was
practicing Black Magic or other forms of the occult. This is how the
spirit got it's nickname, "Kate."
cemetery is the final resting place Kate and Frederick Batts, Benjamin Batts,
Jerry Batts, and others who figured into the legend of the Bell
Witch. Benjamin Batts (no close relation to Kate) had a dispute with
John Bell over the sale of a slave. The dispute was later
"tangled," and became the source of a rumor to the effect that John
Bell and Kate Batts had the dispute, and the Bell Witch was created by Kate
Batts to get revenge on Bell. This cemetery is full of rabbits, snakes,
spiders and ticks.
was the closest town to the Red River Settlement during the days of John
Bell. Bell's sons carried goods from Port Royal to New Orleans, where some
believe that John, Jr. learned the art of ventriloquism which was used to
produce the "Bell Witch." Port Royal was also home to George
Hopson, John Bell's physician. Very little is left of Port Royal
Bell, Jr. Grave
Jr. is buried along with his wife and several children not far from the original
Bell, Jr. Homesite
atop this hill and amid the trees was the home of John Bell, Jr. It
was the site of many strange encounters experienced by John Bell, Jr. and
others. The house stood many years after his death in 1862, and burned in
the early part of the 20th century.
cemetery, somewhere in Robertson County, Tennessee, is the final resting place
of many people who figured prominently into the legend of the Bell Witch.
Among those are James, John, and Calvin Johnston; David Gooch and Theny Thorn;
James Long and Rebecca Porter, William Porter, and many others.
This is a
small stretch of the "Enchanted Spring," which runs into the Red River
on the northeast corner of the old Bell plantation. It was at this spring
where Betsy Bell broke off her engagement to Joshua Gardner, and where two men
heard loud music coming through the air in the latter part of the 19th century.
rock formation denotes the side-profile of a "Halloween witch."
Notice the forehead, eyes, nose, mouth, and chin.
somewhere in Robertson County, Tennessee, was once John Bell's front
yard. The well was a few feet from the barn in the distance,
and the house was near the tree-line. The old Bell Cemetery is on the
small hill to the right.
of Old Road
area was once the main road in the community. It was on this road that
Andrew Jackson made his famous trip to the Bell farm and was halted by the
"witch." The old Bell homestead was very close to where this
picture was taken.
Road in MS
This is Bell
Road, located in the "Eureka" community outside Batesville,
Mississippi. Some of the Bell Children moved to this area after the
"haunting" in Tennessee.
to Long Creek Cemetery
This is the
final resting place of many who figured into the Mississippi version of the
legend. According to legend, the "witch" gave Martha Bell some
stockings and told her to make sure she was buried in them.
"Betsy Bell" Powell Homesite
to Water Valley, Mississippi about 1875, Betsy Bell Powell lived on
this site until her death in 1888. She, along with her daugher Eliza Jane
Powell and son-in-law Zadok X Y Bell (son of Jesse and Martha Bell), are buried
nearby in Long Branch Cemetery.
Cemetery is situated on a partially-cut rural hillside not far from Water
Valley, Mississippi. Long Branch is the final resting place of Betsy Bell
Powell and several of her children.
End of a Legend
This is the
grave of Betsy Bell (Powell). During her childhood, she was
tormented by the "witch" more than any of the other Bell
children. Betsey died in 1888 at the age of 82--outliving her siblings,
her husband (Richard Powell), and her childhood sweetheart, Joshua Gardner, who
died four years earlier.