is located about 10 miles northwest of Springfield, Tennessee, and 7 miles south
of Guthrie, Kentucky. Nashville is roughly an hour away.
first called “Red River Station,” was renamed to “Adams Station” in honor of Reuben Adams, a
local merchant and railroad stockholder. The town's first railroad depot and post office were built in the 1859-1860 timeframe.
The Edgefield and Kentucky Railroad
connected nearby Guthrie, Kentucky to the Edgefield community on the northern outskirts of present-day Nashville.
town was first incorporated on November 10, 1869.
was renamed to “Adams” on February 10, 1898. The Charter was
repealed in 1899 and the town did not reincorporate until the 1908-1909 period. [a]
The town's size was measured as “120 rods in each direction from the
center of the depot.”
The Edgefield and Kentucky Railroad became a part of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad when
the line was extended from Guthrie to Louisville, Kentucky.
Historian Albert Virgil
Goodpasture describes Adams in its early years:
first store-house was built and occupied by Adams & Holloway, who carried on
a grocery business. At about the
same time, B. O. Crenshaw opened a drygoods store.
During the Civil War, nearly all buildings were destroyed.
In 1866, only three dwellings remained in the town.
1865 C. M. Brown & Co. established a general merchandise business in the
depot. A little later, Capt. Thomas
Mallory built a storehouse on the lot now occupied by J. C. Moody's drug store,
and a business was conducted there under the firm name of J. E. Ruffin & Co.
present business interests of the town are represented by J. E. Gaines, W. S.
Miller and Redding & Cobb, drygoods; J. C. Murphey and Winters & Head,
groceries; W. H. Howsley, general merchandise; J. S. Moody, drugs; Crouch &
Co., and Hallums & Edwards, tobacco dealers; G. A. Farmer, flouring-mill;
Alsbrooke & Robinson, Blacksmiths; and J. T. Bell and J. C. Moody,
physicians [Author’s Note: J.T. Bell was Dr. Joel Thomas Bell, son of John
town has two churches, Methodist and Missionary Baptist. The school under the
principalship of S. A. Link is one of the best in the county.”
along the main highway and rail corridor that connected Chicago and Miami from the 1920s to the 1960s, Adams became a very
busy town with many businesses and a steady flow of rail and highway traffic.
The town's first newspaper, “The Enterprise,” was
started by Charles Willett. Willett
later became a professional baseball player, a successful attorney, the Mayor of
Adams, and a Tennessee State Senator. Mr. Willett passed away in the 1960s
and is buried at Bellwood Cemetery. "The Enterprise" was
resurrected many years later and is currently in limited circulation; copies may
be obtained at the Adams Museum and Archives.
railroad’s discontinuance of passenger service through Adams, along with the
construction of Interstates 24 and 65 to take the place of Highway 41, took a heavy toll on Adams.
Most businesses were forced to close, and the once-thriving
central business district
is now practically a ghost town. Only a few small businesses operate
there now; everything else is farmland. Most residents are either retired
or work in nearby